One of the most frequently asked questions in our tech support department is this: "Can I get CTs with longer leads or extend the leads myself? What's the maximum length for CT leads?"
Standard lead length for a DENT current transformer is between 6 and 8 feet, depending on model. Occasionally, because of electrical room layout or other factors, there is a requirement for longer leads on a current transformer. Therefore, extending the CT leads is necessary. The following is a brief overview of options for extending CT leads based on CT type.
For questions outside the scope of this post, please contact DENT Technical Support.
Split-Core / Hinged Split-Core Current Transformers
Split-core CT leads can be extended up to 500 feet using extensions of the same wire type/AWG.
600V Rated VW-1, 105°C, 20AWG, black and white twisted pair, cURus
- Purchase wire by-the-foot for DIY splicing from DENT @ $1/foot using part number WIRE 20 AWG TWPR
- CTs spliced at the factory in custom lengths for $15 per CT plus $1/foot
- Wire may be purchased in 1000 foot spools from Interconnect Sales with part number UL1015-20-0-9-Twist
Recommended Splicing Method/Materials
Sure-Connect sealed butt splices from McMaster-Carr (part 9895K13) which require a crimping tool and hot air gun. Always follow manufacturer's instructions.
RoCoil Current Transformers
RoCoil CT leads can be extended up to 100 feet using extensions of the same wire type/AWG.
"Bare" RoCoil: Shielded cable with thermoplastic insulation, 1000VAC VW-1, 2x26AWG, 80°C, cURus
- Purchase wire by-the-foot for DIY splicing from DENT @ 1.50/foot using part number CBL ROCOIL
- Custom Lengths performed at DENT factory for $3/foot (3-4 week lead time)
- RoCoil mV ONLY: DIY splicing is not advised for RoCoil mV CTs. Length can be added at the factory for $3/foot (1-2 week lead time)
Recommended Splicing Method/Materials ("Bare RoCoil Only)
Sure-Connect sealed butt splices from McMaster-Carr (part 9895K11) which require a crimping tool and hot air gun. Always follow manufacturer's instructions.
For More Information
If you would like to order lead wire or need more information on CT lead extensions, please do not hesitate to contact DENT Sales or Technical Support.